At SF Digital Studios we are really passionate about helping people get the most out of Google Ads and all it has to offer. By sharing our expertise, we aim to support all Google Ads users, whether you are a business owner setting up your own campaigns, or a larger business with multiple campaigns in a variety of niches.
In the video, you will learn all about setting up negative keywords and why this is so important to make your budget go further by stopping any wasted clicks:
Here’s a quick overview of how to set up ‘Negative Keywords’ within your Google Ad Campaign.
Using negative keywords helps you to target the correct audience to your site, avoiding them landing on your sites if they are searching for related search terms.
Using Negative Keywords In Your Google Ad Campaigns
Within this article you will learn how to use negative keywords in your Google Ads campaigns; it will also give you tips on how to do other tasks such as editing, removing and downloading your negative keywords.
It’s a good idea to learn a bit more about negative keywords if you have never used them before, visit this link: about negative keywords to get an idea of how and when to use them.
Something To Take Note Of…
If you use negative keywords within the Search Network it is more precise than using them on the Display Network. This means from time to time the ad can appear on other pages that contain the same terms or negative keywords.
It is recommended to use Site Category Options and Content Exclusions to not target sites and videos that are unrelated to the product or service you are selling or sharing. When using Display ads consider using around 5000 negative keywords as the limit.
To set up your negative keywords:
- First, begin by signing in to the relevant Google Ads account
- Proceed by clicking on ‘Keywords’ from the page menu shown on the left
- Select ‘Negative keywords’
- Click on the ‘+’ button
Here you can add new keywords, a list for new negative keywords or see your pre-existing negative keywords relating to your ad groups and campaigns.
How to add negative keywords to Ad groups, negative keyword lists and campaigns
- Go to ‘Negative Keywords’ or ‘Create New List’ options.
- Decide if you want to add the negative keywords to your ad group or campaign, select the relevant type.
- Add each keyword a line at a time, avoid overlapping them with the regular keywords you have chosen or else your ad will not show.
- When adding negative keywords you can save the keywords to an existing list or a new one and apply it to the current campaign. Click Save to the new or existing list, give the new list a name and select one of your existing lists.
- Finish by clicking ‘Save’
If you have an existing negative keyword list
- Go to ‘Negative keyword’ list
- Find the campaign you want to work with
- Click on the boxes for the negative keyword lists to be used
- Finish by clicking ‘Save’
If you’d like to learn more about how to use online marketing strategies such as Google Ads or YouTube video marketing, make sure you check our blog regularly at www.sfdigital.co.uk/blog.
If you enjoyed this article, you may also like:
- Why Single Keyword Ad Groups Are No Longer a PPC Best Practice
- Google Ads Tips & Tutorials
- Keyword Research With Ubersuggest Keyword Tool
- Google Responsive Search Ads
You can also subscribe to our YouTube channel and join us live on weekdays 1700 hours UK time. Set your reminder here